Wednesday, September 16, 2009

R.I.P. Mindi

It is never easy to lose a pet.

Mindi was the snugglebunny - the one weaned too soon, who sucked on shirts and blankets. I couldn't sit on the sofa without her crawling up into my lap and trying to spit-wash my shirt.

Today Mindi went to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge. Her kidneys shut down and she could barely move, unable to eat or even get her head up long enough to drink. There were no options. I could have prolonged her life perhaps a few hours to a few days - but only by putting her into the pet hospital and having her hooked up to IV's and catheter &etc. Hardly a "quality of life". I made the decision to let the vet ease her way.

We are now a 1-cat, 1-human family. It will be lonelier without her throaty MAOW to remind me to fill the food and water dishes. I hope Kili will be OK.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of your loss - believe me, you made the right choice in letting the vet ease the way - I have been there and chose that path too, and while you grieve at first (is it wrong I cried more at this time than any other, including relatives dying?), with time you will realise that you did the most compassionate thing you could for someone you love.

All the best,

Jay xxx