Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cubness

From Wikipedia, The Ex-Cub Factor is a seemingly spurious correlation that is essentially a corollary to the Curse of the Billy Goat. Widely published in 1990, the hypothesis asserts that since the last appearance by the Chicago Cubs in the 1945 World Series, any baseball team headed into the World Series with three or more former Cubs on its roster has "a critical mass of Cubness" and a strong likelihood of failure.


What the Wikipedia entry fails to mention is that CURRENT Cubs have an even higher concentration of "Cubness", which thereby both overwhelms any other team's Cubness factor and explains why we've been waiting until next year since 1945.

Given the current situation on the North side, it is now certain that my Cubbie Wubbies will spend at least a small amount of time in the post-season playoffs. Some of my co-workers are even so bold as to assume that this year is different.

Oh, you dear, sweet, younglings. Who could forget 1969? And even if you DO forget 1969, who could forget 1984? The Cubs have disappointed fans for years and years. I actually DID believe back in 69 and 84. But I've learned, I've grown, and I know that getting one's hopes up in that fashion, only to have them dashed, is foolishness in the extreme. I love the Cubs. I wish they could win a World Series. But since having the Cubbies win a World Series Championship would also be one of the signs of the Apocalypse, the coming of the Rapture®, and Armageddon... not to mention costing me a fucking fortune in buying a dozen long-stem red roses for Grampa R's grave, I'm not entirely sure I'm totally in favor of disturbing the Status Quo.

118 days

3 comments:

rauf said...

If curses really worked our world would have been one big lake. All humans dead. i have friends who love me and i have people who curse me too, curse my blog, literally, no jokes. Thats why i bark like a dog in my posts. Must be some curse worked. My putter crashed a couple of times since then.

OYO !! then who ever visits my blog is also cursed ??
oh deeah !!

Amanda said...

How did that song go?

"the cubs still suck......"

Anonymous said...

My condolances on being a Cub fan. I happen to be a Phillies fan and have just discovered that there are THREE ex-Cubs on their post-season roster; namely, Matt Stairs, Scott Eyre and Jamie Moyer. The Phillies Cubness has thus reached a critical mass. Do you have any suggestions on how to get Matt Stairs off the team?

Eddy the Flea

Note: We sometimes call the Phillies the Fleas. Especially after a big disapointment.