Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Potholes

This has been one of the more icey/sn*wy winters here in a while. Not "OMGWTFGLOBALWARMINGWEALLGONNADIE" bad, but typical weather for winter in this area - given that the last several years have been atypically mild.

As a result of a return to "normal" winter weather, the salt & plow guys have been working more than usual, and a great deal of salt has been used on the roads.

Salt is used to keep the ice from making all the cars smack into each other. Salt also gets into the tiny cracks in the pavement and combined with the bouncing of traffic (especially heavy trucks) eventually the pavement becomes weak in some areas and holes form. This is a totally non-scientific analysis, I'm sure someone else knows better how it works. Phllhhbbbhhttt on them - I don't care how they de-erupt, I just care about the craters they leave in the road.

Out front of our work building there is a car-eating crater. It's rather amusing to watch folks creepy-crawl around it. Without a doubt anyone who was foolish enough to drive THROUGH it would end up learning how to change a flat tire fair quickly.

As of this morning, some of these potholes have been filled with asphalt. Most of them already have a coating of salt on them. A few are already sinking in, and I suspect they will revert to their devious tire-eating behavior within days.

For once I actually look forward to Spring road construction season. Hopefully they'll rework the area under the overpass so that I don't have to drive as if I were drunk to avoid all the holes.

I do try to avoid the holes, you know. Especially after my former roommate Jon rather dryly commented to me that "The idea is to AVOID the potholes - not aim straight for them and cringe!!"

Bastard.

321 days

3 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

My mother once drove in to a very large hole in the road many years ago.

Sadly she climbed out again.

BBC said...

It was a very mild winter here. And I'm thankful for that.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

You know you can drive in the Midwest, when you advise others, based on the number of potholes a road has.:)

The freezing/thawing action in cracks of the road also makes potholes; the salt makes rusted trash out of a good car if it's not washed like a religion.