Thursday, February 14, 2008

Strange Dreams

My grandmother lived in a bungalow on a quiet, tree-lined street in a very nice little urban area. For the life of me, I cannot remember what the light fixture in her kitchen looked like, but I can remember the kitchen vividly. I learned to quilt in that house, and learned a lot about cooking, gardening and sewing in general there as well.

It was one of my favorite places to go as a child, and so I do know why I visit it frequently in dreams. Why the roof would be leaking is a question, though.

And the leaky roof pouring water into the kitchen, and starting a sparking fire in the light fixture (which I know for a FACT was NOT a long dangly chandelier...). Grabbing a small fire extinguisher off the refrigerator (unlikely!!) and trying to put the fire out. Spraying foam everywhere, and still seeing flames. Yelling to my brother to help Grandma go to the basement and pull the fuses, he objected to that because I'd be pulling him away from his homework.

Then a strange dressingroom or bathroom stall type cupboard appeared where the telephone used to be, and 2 guys all 3/4 covered in fire extinguisher foam started singing "Stick Magnetic Ribbons on your SUV" (exactly the way the Asylum Street Spankers do it...)

That's the last time I eat hot noodles right before bed, I think.

Amanda - check the previous post comments for my e-mail address - or you can just click on the link in my profile.

340 days

2 comments:

BBC said...

Not that I dream about them but some of my best childhood memories are of when I lived with my poor grandparents.

Living in an old shack with a wood burning kitchen stove and one light.

Going to a piece of property grandpa had acquired somehow and camping on it until he got a one room 'home' built.

Living in a sheep wagon far out in the country. I loved those days.

I made a 15 bean soup, didn't dream at all.

Anonymous said...

I hate those "old house" dreams. I have them all the time, more like nightmares. Always a different old house and always someone or something outside trying to get in. WAAAAHHH Now I'm going to have a nightmare tonight. I better have my noodles now for supper.