Monday, October 15, 2007

Grazillions of Grackles

Mondays aren't really my favorite day of the week. Especially rainy, gloomy, dreary mondays, and this one started out like that. Fall is definitely in full swing, the chill in the air of a morning makes me want to burrow back under the quilts - not toss them to the side and leap into action.

This morning I opened the back door to head to the car and heard the most amazing sound - it was the soundtrack to Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". Amazing that someone would be playing that at such an ungodly hour...

And then I saw them. On the TV antenna of the house opposite... 20 grackles, at the least. And on their roof - at least 2 or 3 dozen more. A chorus of birdnoise from behind caused me to whirl about and see in the tree behind our fence another group - hundreds of grackles... grackling.

I made a break for my car - all the while listening to the scratchy cries of the birds - hoping they wouldn't attack and peck me to death. The noise of the Grazillions of Grackles (exact number) was loud enough to drown out the sounds from the expressway nearby. Every single TV antenna, all the roofs - much of the shrubbery and all of the trees - covered in Grackles.

Damn that lady across the street and her stupid bird feeder!!!

462 days

4 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It's a Grackle, it's a plane it's...

not got the same ring to it really

Always been a lover of tits myself...

I'll get me coat

BBC said...

I don't think we have any here, yet. I wonder if they are edible.

The weather is holding at mild here, pretty nice so far.

I have a thick book on Einstein to start reading, think I will do it outside in front of a fire.

Anonymous said...

All those birds! Creepy.

Anonymous said...

use a brolly ;oP