Friday, June 23, 2006

What would YOU do?

Imagine if you will, the following scenario (taken from a REAL incident):

Your sister (brother, father, uncle - pick a relative) asks you to pick up something for them at the store and promises to reimburse you for it. As it so happens, the amount is EXACTLY $100.00 and said relative writes you a check for that amount.

The next day you take this check to the bank and cash it, the cashier gives you the money in a little envelope/packet thing, and you check, see there are 10 bills (10 x 10 = 100) and you drive off.

You realize you are out of aspirin, and stop at the Walgreens to pick up a bottle of aspirins, and hand the clerk one of the bills from the packet. The clerk gives you 97 dollars change.

You protest - the clerk shows you the $100 bill that you just handed her.

You check the packet and discover that you do not have 10 $10 bills, but instead you have 10 $100 bills.

What would you do?



As it happens, I know the woman this happened to. I'm proud to say that my friend was honest - immediately called the bank, and the next day had her mother return the $900 that she had been handed in error. I hope I can say I would do the same. I want to say it - and I hope that I wouldn't go the "too bad, so sad" route.

But...

What would YOU do?

No comments: